Coming up with a new pasta recipe is one of my favorite things to do – mainly because I LOVE PASTA and could easily eat it every meal. A while back Trader Joe’s introduced its delicious Black Truffle flavored olive oil but I never knew what to do with it. I mean, yeah I used it to dip my bread but I knew there had to be more uses for it. How many times a week could I possibly eat bread in order to use up the oil? Well, aside from these Truffle Kale Chips, this pasta recipe is one of them!
The good news with this pasta recipe is that you can make it gluten free by selecting a gluten free type of pasta. I hope you enjoy this as much as I have 🙂 Also – I made it for my parents when I visited them a few weeks ago and my mom (my inspiration for cooking) and dad loved it!
- 1 c. Grated Grana Padano Parmesan cheese + extra to sprinkle on top at the end
- 1 lb. Penne pasta (should be 1 bag. You may also use a gluten free pasta if you wish)
- 1½ tbsp. Unsalted butter
- ⅓ c. Black Truffle flavored olive oil + 1 tbsp to drizzle on top of the pasta at the end
- ½ c. Pasta water (reserved at the end when the pasta is ready)
- Salt to taste
- Edit made 09/28/15. Error in order of cooking ingredients. Recipe reflects this change.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, then add the pasta (and salt, although I personally do not salt my pasta water). Cook for as long as directed on the package or test it for desired chewiness (careful! Its hot!).
- When the pasta is ready, pour some water (about ½ a cup) in a mug or heat resistant glass and set aside. Drain the pasta in a colander and toss back in the pan you boiled it in. Add the butter and truffle oil and stir until butter melts. Sprinkle in the grated Grana Padano Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Slowly add in some pasta water - about 1 - 2 tablespoons at a time (you will not use it all. You just need enough to make the pasta moist but not soupy). Keep stirring and adding water until the pasta looks moist and a bit creamy. If you are not sure what you are looking for, check the bottom of the pan to check for excess liquid. Some liquid is good but if it starts coating the bottom of the pan its too much.
- Serve the pasta in a bowl or dish and sprinkle extra cheese on top and drizzle with 1 tsbp (roughly) or more Truffle flavored olive oil.
- Enjoy with a nice glass of white wine!