I have a foodie confession to make… Crabs FREAK me out. Actually anything that appears in its original form weirds me out. I tell people all the time, “If it is staring at me, I can’t eat it” and I stay true to this. Hence, why I can’t pick crabs. I will not touch a shrimp if the whole thing is served and if a fish is served in its entirety it will certainly stay on the plate. I cannot bare to shuck clams. If someone served me a whole Cow on a plate (aside from the fact there is no way I could eat a whole cow at once), I would not touch it.
Okay now that I got off my plate (he he pun totally intended), lets get to this said Crab soup. I enlisted my trusty assistant Adam, AKA hubby, AKA grew up picking crabs since his mom and her family are Baltimore natives 🙂
I do like crab meat, I just can’t pick a crab.
I wasn’t a big fan of this recipe and looking back I should have gone by way of tomato base but Adam LOVED it, so if hubby LOVED it, it is worth publishing 🙂 This was also a very hearty and wintery soup.
Original Recipe: Creamy Corn Crab Soup
These are additions, I didn’t remove anything from the original recipe.
– 8 steamed crabs seasoned with Old Bay. We inherited 8 crabs from my in laws. We didn’t want to waste them so I made soup with them. I still added the can of crab meat as per the recipe. This soup was extra crabby (hahahaha okay I need to stop with the puns) which my hubby loved.
– Added 6 diced green onions (sauteed with chopped onion).
– Used 3 ears of sweet corn instead of frozen corn. I cut the kernels off the cob (see photo below). Let me tell you, raw corn is YUMMY. I kept munching them through out cooking.
– 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube. I added this at the end (I would say add to taste) to balance out the sweetness of the soup.
– Salt. I added this at the end (I would say add to taste) to balance out the sweetness of the soup.